Traces

When all traces of outward beauty have hidden themselves from observable truth, and the memory of youth is so thin a line that it vanishes, may the grace God has shown my soul be the glory revealed in my heart, my countenance and my demeanor.

When there is nothing left of my mind to temper and control my words and actions, and the social requirements that today restrain my behavior have all been forgotten, may God’s character be all that remains in me.

When food has lost its flavor, and fashion its allure, may my joy be in what final breath and closing heartbeat will bring me into the presence of the Lord.

When poetry no longer excites, and words no longer sing, may there be no lack of thrill in the sound of His truth echoing in my mind.

A day will come, gradually or suddenly, when all I have strived for on this earth will be completed and finalized. It will end. If I am given years of old age and senility to reveal what has lived in me, dominated me, ordered or frenzied my thoughts, or if death finds me now, my prayer is it will be my Savior people see.


Comments

Popular Posts